I never trusted any site which does not have https url. Unfortunately my own blog site was not secured https enabled. I didn’t know that i can make my site https enabled for free. Yes, i am talking about the Let’s Encrypt, who are providing certificate for free.
There are many ways you can add the free certificate in your site.
1. If you have access in server’s /etc folder, using commands and with WordPress plugin
2. If you bought your site from some domain provider, who has one click Let’s Encrypt button in their cPanel
I will explain how you will include Let’s Encrypt certificate in your WordPress site when you cPanel will not have Let’s Encrypt button to install it.
1. Install and Activate WP Encrypt plugin in your WP site.
2. Go to Settings -> WP Encrypts
3. Fill up the field
4. Click on ‘Save Changes’
5. Click on the ‘Register Account’
6. Click on the ‘Generate Certificate’
It will show where those certificate has been saved. We are very close to our goad.
7. Download cert.pem and private.pem form the server using ftp client tool e.g. FizeZilla.
8. Login to the cPanel and locate Security -> SSL/TLS
13. Open the private.pem in text editor and paste that to the “Private Key (KEY)” field
14. Keep the “Certificate Authority Bundle: (CABUNDLE)” field blank
15. Click on “Install Certificate” button.
16. Success message will show up. Wait, we are not done yet!
14. Go to Settings-> General
15. Put https in the WordPress Address (URL) and the Site Address (URL)
16. Hit Save Changes
All set! the zularbie.com site is now secured with Let’s Encrypt certificate. Let’s encrypt certificate has 90 days of validity. It will warn in the admin in15 days back or based on your setting in WP Encrypt plugin. Then you need to revoke and reinstall the new certificate from the cPanel.